Jump to section
Please read the policy carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
By visiting and continuing to use this website you are consenting to the practices described in this policy. If you do not agree, please do not continue to use the BIEE website to submit personal information to us.
You can decide not to receive communications or change how we contact you at any time.
It is possible that the policy may be amended from time to time, so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you are happy with any changes. The date of the most recent revisions will appear on this page.
Who We Are
The British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE) is a company incorporated in England and Wales limited by guarantee (company number 1874015), and is registered as a charity No. 3262875.
BIEE’s registered address is Haines Watts, Milton House, Gatehouse Road, Aylesbury, HP19 8EA.
The BIEE aims to
- Provide a platform for high quality, informed debate of key energy issues in the UK
- Encourage the exchange of ideas and information between energy professionals from different disciplines and different sectors of the energy industry.
- Support the use of economics and research as a basis for good decision making and sound policies.
We do this by
- Convening a regular programme of meetings, seminars webinars and conferences held in London Oxford Scotland and other locations and also online
- Publishing presentations, papers, and discussion summaries from our meetings and conferences.
- Helping to develop the next generation of professionals, by offering students low cost membership, and travel grants.
- Contributing to wider international energy debates through association with the International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) and its regional affiliates.
Why we hold and process personal data
We hold and process personal data for a number of reasons:
- To keep a record of our members, their subscriptions and other donations and our wider network of contacts, sponsors, speakers, authors and delegates, including our communications with them
- For membership service administration – to register new members both individual and corporate, to accept and record subscriptions, and to renew memberships; also for the purposes of submitting joint applications for membership of the International Association of Energy Economics (IAEE) and BIEE, and to make payments to the IAEE for those registered as BIEE/IAEE dual members
- To send you marketing information about our events, annual conference and third party partner events, where we have your consent to do so. You may withdraw or modify your consent at any time. Please see ‘Rights to Access and Control Your Personal Data’
- To record our event activities and outputs including speaker and attendee information
- To record information about and communicate with authors who submit abstracts for selection and presentation at our research conferences
- To make offers of membership and invite people to become involved in our organisation
- To ensure we do not send unwanted information to our contacts or members who have informed us they do not wish to be contacted.
- To claim gift aid on member donations
- To fulfil contractual obligations entered into with sponsors and funders
- To administer the BIEE website
- To meet our charitable reporting duties
Our members also share their professional identities, engage with the network, exchange knowledge and find opportunities through the members section of our website. Conference delegates can choose to share their professional identities with other delegates via our conference app.
BIEE will only use your personal data where it has an appropriate legal basis, such as: (1) where the processing is in our own legitimate interest; (2) it is in compliance with a legal obligation; (3) it is necessary to perform a contract between us and you; and/or (4) you have consented to our use of your personal data.
Information we collect
You provide data to us when you join as a member, attend our events, sign up to receive emails, submit an abstract or use our website.
Joining as Member
All Members who join the BIEE are asked to give their name, email address, postal address, phone number, organisation affiliation, job title, sector and specialisation. BIEE members may choose whether or not to appear in the Members directory. Student members are asked to provide the name of their course, its start and finish dates and the name of the institution they are studying at. BIEE does not collect or store credit card or bank details of any of its members.
Attendance at Events
We gather information on those who attend our events including your name and e-mail address, job title and the organisation you are affiliated with.
Email Sign Up
To sign up for email updates through the website or social media you will be asked to provide data including your name, email address and organisation.
If you are an author submitting an abstract for one of our research conferences you will be asked to provide your name, email address, organisation, job title as well as those of your co-authors, whose consent you must obtain in order to share their personal data with us.
We may collect information about your computer, including where possible your IP address and browser type for systems administration and to collect aggregate information relating to our visitors. This is statistical data about our users browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
Special or Sensitive Categories of Personal Data
We may hold limited information about you which includes sensitive personal data, such as special needs requirements or health conditions. We will only hold this data when we need to for the purposes of the product or services we provide to you or where we have a legal obligation to do so. When we ask you for this data we ask for your consent to hold it.
Your Rights and Obligations
We keep most of your personal data while you remain actively engaged with us.
How long information will be stored for depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. For example, if you ask us not to send you marketing emails, we will stop storing your emails for marketing purposes (though we will keep a record of your preference not to be emailed).
We retain your personal data even after you cease to be a member or a contact who has stopped receiving mailings, to comply with legal obligations, meet our regulatory and financial requirements, resolve disputes, and maintain security. Lapsed members and contacts will be deleted from our database after 3 years.
Rights to Access and Control Your Personal Data
The accuracy of your information is important to us.
BIEE members, contacts and sponsors should notify the BIEE if any information held on the website needs to be corrected or updated or amend the information directly online.
BIEE will not accept responsibility for inaccurate or out of date data supplied to it by any person.
You can access or delete your personal data. You are entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to object to or request restriction of processing of your personal data, and to request access to, rectification, erasure and portability of your own personal data. We want to ensure that we are able to communicate with you in ways that you are happy with, and to provide you with information that is of interest.
You can change your mailing preferences here or unsubscribe from our emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us.
If you have any questions about how the BIEE collects, stores and uses your information or have any questions about this policy please contact the administrator at Admin@BIEE.org.
BIEE’s data protection registration number is Z1883510.
BIEE’s website maintenance provider Electric Studio implement security safeguards designed to protect your data, such as HTTPS. They regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
BIEE has in place technical and organisational security measures to ensure that data held on the database is secure from loss, misuse or external access
Whilst BIEE has used its best efforts we cannot guarantee the absolute security of its database or any internet-based transactions and will not be held responsible for claims, demands, costs and expenses incurred by any person arising from any breach of the security of the website.
Content provided by Third Parties published on our website
We publish and link to reports, blogs and articles written by members and others who are not members of staff of BIEE. We are not responsible for the accuracy of either the content or any personal data contained within such content.
The information in any e-mail (and/or document attached) sent by or on behalf of the BIEE is confidential and may be legally privileged and/or contain copyright material of BIEE. This information is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee of an email from BIEE please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose, copy or distribute the contents to any other person.
Any contractual representations contained therein on behalf of the BIEE must not be taken as final, and are entirely subject to contracts signed formally by an authorised representative of this organisation.
Whilst the BIEE takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that e-mails from BIEE are virus free, no responsibility will be taken for viruses transmitted from its systems.
Last updated 09/07/2021