Jump to section
BIEE provides a unique forum in the energy world, where industry leaders, policy-makers and academics can be heard and their views discussed in an impartial environment.
Each year, BIEE organises and hosts around 12 -14 events, using face to face and online platforms, including a major conference, our flagship annual lecture, a webinar series and meetings on subjects of topical interest.
- A biennial two-day residential conference held in Oxford.
- Thought leadership and the sharing of knowledge are the core objectives of the conference.
- The conference is designed by a committee of members who select the theme and shape the programme.
- A content rich programme of plenary and parallel sessions delivers some of the latest research and analysis in energy economics and policy.
- The programme comprises 3 ‘headline’ plenary sessions with high profile invited guest speakers and sponsors.
- Around 18 parallel sessions featuring research papers, industry case studies, and ‘dialogue’ sessions to debate difficult or controversial topics. Presenters submit proposals to speak in these sessions and selection is made by the conference committee.
- A dedicated student and young energy professionals session.
- An industry and skills focused breakfast session, on topics such as ‘Women in Energy’ (2018) and ‘Diversity for Net Zero’ (2021).
- Conference drinks and dinner take place in the dining hall of an Oxford College. Past after dinner speakers have included Sir Edward Davey, James Smith and Ian Marchant.
- Attendees are of the highest calibre within their spheres of excellence, and hence the discussion and debate on some of the key challenges facing the sector is of the highest quality.
- This is our largest event with attendance of 200+ delegates from the UK and Europe. The audience is a mix of academic, industry leaders and policy makers and includes a significant number of postgraduate students and young energy professionals.
- A one-day policy conference held in the intervening years, normally hosted by BEIS at 1 Victoria Street in London.
- This conference aims to address one of the government’s more complex current energy policy challenges.
- The programme typically comprises a mixture of presentations and panel debates and provides plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate.
- The event attracts around 150 attendees from the industry, government, academic, finance and consulting communities.
Conferences are subject to a registration fee, though BIEE members benefit from discounted registration rates
- BIEE’s annual lecture series was launched in 2014 to mark its 30th anniversary. It is normally held at the Royal Society in London.
- This is a chance to hear a strategic take on energy challenges from a key industry leader.
- Ian Marchant, former CEO of SSE was our first speaker in 2014. Guest speakers since then have been Prof Dieter Helm from Oxford, Iain Conn CEO Centrica, Rt Hon Greg Clarke MP Secretary of State for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy, Steve Holliday former CEO National Grid, Sinead Lynch UK Country Chair, Shell and Greg Jackson CEO Octopus Energy.
- The event attracts an expert audience from the energy industry, government, academic, finance and consulting communities of around 150 attendees and receives some press coverage.
- The format is a lecture followed by Q&A and a drinks reception.
This event free for members to attend, but subject to a registration fee for non-members
Energy Webinar Series
- The BIEE’s Energy seminar (now webinar) series aims to promote discussion of broader issues of energy and climate policy, cutting across sectoral concerns, in an independent and non-partisan environment.
- These take place in February, April, June and November.
- Each seminar focuses on a current controversial topic related to energy and climate change and brings together a number of expert speakers with different perspectives on an issue.
- They offer participants thought-provoking presentations that analyse a topic from many angles followed by an extended Q&A and audience discussion.
- We run a number of meetings throughout the year to cover subjects of topical interest and host high profile speakers such as the International Energy Agency. Some are run in conjuntion with our corporate members and event partners.
- These normally feature presentations from one or two speakers followed by audience Q&A.
- These have been run as webinars since the pandemic.
- We are currently researching how we can best deliver these events post pandemic.
On demand Webinar
IEA World Energy Outlook 2021
The World Energy Outlook, the IEA’s flagship publication, provides a comprehensive view of how the global energy system could develop in the coming ...
Behavioural economics, energy and climate policy: Lessons from the last three decades
The BIEE's fourth webinar in 2021 will take place at 2:00pm on Wednesday 8th December and will explore the topic of behavioural economics, energy and ...