Jump to section
The British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE) is at the centre of informed debate on UK energy issues. For over 30 years we have provided a focal point for discussion linking research insight with policy and delivery outcomes.
BIEE is an independent institute, membership organisation, and trusted forum for energy debate and dialogue in the UK.
BIEE’s membership is drawn from energy analysts, economists, researchers, strategy and policy thinkers from all backgrounds, including industry, academia and research organisations, government, the finance community, NGOs and consultancies.
Our expertise is in energy economics, policy and strategy, with a focus on the UK energy system, world energy markets, climate policy and the future energy landscape.
We do not represent any sector of the industry. Our discussions and governing Council encompass a diversity of views on the way in which contemporary energy challenges should be tackled. The BIEE as a whole aims to be impartial and to provide a forum for the examination of issues from a range of perspectives.
The BIEE aims to
- Provide a platform for high quality, informed debate of key energy issues in the UK.
- Encourage the exchange of ideas and information between energy professionals from different disciplines and different sectors of the energy industry.
- Support the use of economics and research analysis as a basis for good decision making and sound policies.
- Promote open dialogue and debate of key energy issues.
What we do
We do this by
- Convening a regular programme of meetings seminars and conferences held in London, Oxford, Scotland and online, to debate current issues in both the UK and world energy markets.
- Publishing presentations, papers, and discussion summaries from our meetings.
- Helping to develop the next generation of professionals, by offering students discounted membership rates, research prizes and financial support.
- Contributing to wider international energy debates through association with the International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) and its regional affiliates.
Contributions from members and event sponsors support our programme.
The BIEE is governed by a Council of voluntary officers elected by the members.
It was established as a company limited by guarantee in 1984, becoming a registered charity in 1985.